Amidst the COVID-19 virus, many regions have issued a mandatory quarantine around the world. Although this pandemic is nothing to overlook, you shouldn’t be fearful during this time. Just because you are being asked to shelter in place doesn’t mean that you have to be still. There are still ways to stay healthy during the pandemic. In fact, by staying active and busy, you can help keep your immune system in tip-top shape.
Being too sedentary for a long duration of time significantly slows down your metabolism while also increases the risk for cardiovascular disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, lipid disorders, obesity, and further negative effects on the body. Aside from these physiological side effects, being inactive for too long can also negatively impact your psychological wellbeing. Thus, you may begin to experience things like anxiety and depression.
Due to quarantine, gatherings are prohibited in many areas to adhere to social distancing advisories. This degree of isolation can also contribute to mental health issues regarding anxiety and depression. Therefore, when staying healthy during the pandemic, you will want to ensure that both your mental and physical health needs are being met. As a home disinfecting service we have come up with a few ways how you and your family can stay healthy during the pandemic.
It’s a proven fact that stress inhibits your immune system significantly. When people stress, they are significantly more prone to acquiring an illness and usually require more time to heal from that illness. Thus, it should be your priority to stay as calm as possible during this time.
Stress may seem to come quite easily during this pandemic for many reasons. You might be overwhelmed by the isolation and not seeing your friends/family. You may also be stressed for financial reasons as you might not be able to work anymore. It goes without saying that several stressors present themselves amidst this epidemic. Although you can not fully control the spread of this virus, you can control how you respond to it.
As stated, stress compromises your immune system because the stress hormone corticosteroid suppresses the immune system’s ability to fight off antigens. Thus, you become more susceptible to infection. The following are some methods to strengthen your immune system and also tips to reduce stress:
Strengthen Your Immune System
- Get a good night’s rest. Sleep and immunity are closely linked as your body does most of its healing during this period of time. Thus, you want to make sure you are receiving at least 6 hours of deep, uninterrupted sleep.
- Don’t smoke. Your breathing is especially important during this time. Smoking replaces the oxygen in your blood with carbon monoxide which increases your susceptibility to immune and autoimmune infections.
- Alcohol also compromises the immune system. So, drink in moderation.
- Consume herbs and foods like black elderberry, garlic, licorice, Andrographis, spinach, and turmeric which are high in essential vitamins and antioxidants.
Stress Prevention and Relief
- Workout. Exercise release a lot of muscular tension and mental stress.
- Start journaling. Write your thoughts down and your feelings. Writing down your worries on paper can help get them out of your head.
- Dance. Put on your favorite music and have a good time.
- Do something with your hands. Find a hobby you can do with your hands to take your focus away from stressful thoughts. These hobbies can include cooking, knitting, household projects, gardening, etc.
- Gardening. Gardening is very therapeutic and allows you to get your daily dose of vitamin D from the Sun.
Quarantine doesn’t mean that a person can’t be active. There are still ways to stay healthy and fit during the pandemic. One popular form of staying active is improvised fitness. Improvised fitness is working out without any gym equipment. These workouts can include household items such as water jugs, stairs, chairs, etc. Or, you can do improvised fitness with your own body weight. There are thousands of resistance training videos online without the need for any special equipment. This allows people to showcase their creativity and be innovative. The following are more ways you can stay active while at home:
- Do bodyweight exercises such as squats, push-ups, lunges, glute bridges, leg flutters, bicycle kicks, etc.
- Add HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) workouts to your regimen. You can still do intense cardio without a treadmill by running in place, doing burpees, ski jumps, etc.
- Join an online fitness program.
- Zumba fitness. There are thousands of videos online of full Zumba dance routines ranging from salsa to jazz and more.
Get Some Air
Although you may be isolating in your home, you can still go outside. The importance of getting sunlight can not be stressed enough during the Coronavirus. Regular sun exposure is recommended and should be achieved 10-30 minutes a day to maintain healthy blood levels and receive a fair amount of vitamin D. As previously stated, vitamin D is integral for your physical wellbeing and mental health. Aside from the sun, you also need to get fresh air into your lungs.
Benefits of getting fresh air:
- Fresh air improves the digestive system.
- Fresh air strengthens the immune system.
- Fresh air cleans your lungs.
- Fresh air improves your circulatory strain and pulse.
- Fresh air increases your energy levels.
- Fresh air makes for a clear mind.
- Fresh air improves concentration and mental acuteness.
- Fresh air reduces stress.
Hygiene and a Clean Environment
COVID-19 is a disease that causes respiratory illness within people. It can be spread through direct contact or through breathing in the air of someone who is infected with the virus. It’s important to know this information so that you take the necessary steps to protect yourself and your loved ones from contracting the virus. To combat and prevent the virus, practicing good hygiene and keeping a clean environment is crucial. If you want a thorough cleaning of your household, you may find that hiring a home disinfecting service is needed to sanitize your area.
When looking for a professional disinfectant company, you want to be sure that the services are very effective. EnviroSafe is a professional disinfectant company that specializes in in-home disinfecting, deodorizing, and sanitizing for affordable prices. This home disinfecting service uses high-quality solutions and procedures to kill 99.99% of specified viruses like Influenza A2, HBV, and HIV-1. In addition to the virucide, EnviroSafe will also sanitize your household surfaces and remove 99.99% of common bacteria.
Personal Hygiene Tips
When controlling the spread of COVID-19, you can help by practicing the following hygiene tips:
- Stand 6 ft away from others when in public.
- Always wear a face mask when out in public.
- Wash hands regularly.
- Limit exposure by wearing gloves.
You can do your part in stopping the spread of this virus by remaining compliant with the recommendations given by the CDC and social distancing. You can still stay healthy during the pandemic by following some of the tips discussed above. For more information contact your local home disinfecting service Enviro Safe.